Hurricane Harvey: Support Relief Efforts
Throughout the past week, College Advising Corps has been consumed by the heartbreaking news of Hurricane Harvey. Like many of you, we are looking for ways to get involved and offer our help, resources, and support as we begin to comprehend the immensity of the loss and devastation inflicted on the community of Houston.
Harvey made landfall at a time when advisers at our Houston-area partner high schools were preparing to return to their students and school communities for the start of a new school year. In moments of crisis, our immediate concern is always to account for the safety of our community members — we are relieved to share that our College Advising Corps family in Houston, College Station, and throughout Texas are safe.
The impact of Harvey will be long-lasting, and our team is eager to provide support to recovery efforts throughout the region. We have gathered a list of partners who are helping local families in the schools and communities that we serve and encourage our colleagues in Texas to contact us to share additional ways that members of the College Advising Corps network can offer assistance in the short- and long-term. We will update this list in the coming days with additional opportunities to get involved and support our partner schools, districts, and communities.
- The HISD Foundation, which supports students and academic initiatives in the Houston Independent School District throughout the year, has established a Harvey donation page to support families.
- If you know someone in an evacuation zone, Alief Taylor High School is providing basic necessities and shelter for Harvey evacuees. Learn more on their website or Facebook.
- KIPP Houston Public Schools has established a Family Emergency Fund to provide direct support to KIPP families and staff.
- Klein Independent School District has established a Klein ISD Flood Relief Resource Guide, which details local shelters, community feeding centers, distribution centers, and needed items throughout Harris County.
- Mayde Creek High School has established an Amazon Smile page for direct donations to support the community.
- Pasadena Independent School District provides a list of ways to donate or volunteer, in addition to other critical resources for families throughout the district and Harris County.
- Sheldon Independent School District has established a Hurricane Harvey fundraising page to directly support families throughout the district.
- The Michael & Susan Dell Foundation will match $1 for every $2 in donations for the first $36 million raised for their Rebuild Texas Fund.