Decision Day Wrap-Up
Each day, we wake up working to increase the number of students who attend and graduate college. Spring is the time of the year when that work often comes to a culmination. Thousands of underrepresented students assisted by College Advising Corps advisers have been accepted to college and have selected where they will attend school in the fall. Across the country, we celebrate and recognize high school seniors who are college bound though “Decision Day.” We participated in Decision Day through various events around the country in the month of May. Here is a snapshot of those events:
- US News and World Report wrote about First Lady Michelle Obama’s College Signing Day talk on May 2nd in San Antonio. The First Lady addressed some 2,100 students from 38 high schools. A number of students and advisers associated with Advise TX took part. College Signing Day is part of Mayor Julian Castro’s long-term initiative to improve the high school graduation rates and increase the number of San Antonio residents with college degrees. Mayor Castro, recently nominated by President Obama to be HUD Secretary, took part in the Adviser Summit last year in San Antonio. His twin brother, Joaquin, is a College Advising Corps Board Member.
- Michigan State University Corps adviser, Asia Beard, featured in ABC 12 coverage celebrating Bay City Central High School Decision Day festivities.
- Every girl at Coretta Scott King Leadership Academy in Atlanta, served by the Georgia College Advising Corps, is college bound! Coverage in the Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Video of Decision Day event at Los Fresnos High School in Texas
- College Advising Corps COO, Amir Farokhi, addressed 200 advisers and students during NYU Decision Day.